Past and Language

All entries are complete.
The most recent entries are at the top, so if you are here for the first time, please scroll down to the bottom of the page and work your way up. It makes for a better read.
このブログを日本語に翻訳しています。お読みになる方はそのままでお読みになりたかったら、こちらに参ってくださいませ。

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Sports in Japan

Japan's baseball season lasts from April to October. So why, in the dead of November, is the Kansai Gaidai team still swinging away? Devotion, my friends, devotion.

I had a conversation with a team member standing by the sideline. (Not the one in the picture.) The actual dialogue makes for an awful read, as it took several tries to get our ideas across the language barrier, but here is as accurate a paraphrase of the conversation as I can manage:

It's almost December. Baseball is a spring and summer sport, right?
Usually American teams will practice only during the regular season, right? So it's not so serious. We are a club, too, so we are more serious about it. Does your college's baseball team practice in the fall?
I don't know. In America, a team is just a team. Team mates aren't necessarily friends. It seems like lots of people want to do it as their job.
In Japan, a sports team is not just a team. We are all friends, too, so we go out and eat or drink together. Even if there isn't a practice, we will probably meet other members of the team. That's why we call it a club.
So it doesn't feel like a job?
We do our best at baseball, like a job, and it is difficult like a job, but everyone loves baseball and has a good time practicing and playing. So even when it's cold like this, we're happy to be here.

Many thanks to this gentleman (whose name I unfortunately forgot) for accomodating me and my shoddy third-language interview skills.


Nobody is warming the bench tonight. Devotion!

1 comment:

visual gonthros said...

I like the baseball. I want to read more about the baseball club. It would be a great topic for an ethnography...

I think churches and other religious facilities like to put themselves in seemingly strange places. I think anybody who is going to rent a video about two secretaries and a tentacle monsters needs some religion... I like the juxtaposition.